Monday, September 21, 2009

Do it for the money???

This will be a short one because I have work to do for my real job.

About 6 or 7 years ago the teachers were working without a contract. I never paid much attention to that stuff anyway. All I knew was that we were in contract negotiations and my check was the same size as it was the year before.

The school that I taught in had a rule that kids couldn't have more than 10 dollars on them at a time. It was a measure the administration took to hopefully reduce some of the drug dealing.

One of my students was well known for his involvemnt in gangs and selling drugs. On paper we should have been mortal enemies. But we were the best of buds. Anything I asked the kids to do he did to the best of his ability. He had 100's of incidents with other teachers. He never once gave me a problem.

One morning the vice principal was in my room and he told me that later I would be getting a formal observation. No big deal. As he was walking out the student..Cleo was walking in. Cleo went to take his seat and suddenly realized something.

He had a wade of cash...tens and twenties...he asked me to hold it for him. So I did I didn't turn it over. I know he needed the money. I knew how he got it but...well he needed the money.

After school he asked me for it back and I gave it to him. And then Cleo tried to ripoff a few twenties for me. He said, "Man you teachers don't make no money. I gotts a couple dollars...here you don't need to say nothing or pay me back or nothing."

I didn't take the money.

PART 2 tomorrow

No comments:

Post a Comment